16s rRNA Gene Sequence Analysis
A. Retrieving and viewing your DNA sequence
- Open the NSLC Data Folder on the Desktop.
- Open the BIO 2960 Folder.
- Open the folder for your lab section and identify your sequence.
- Double click on your sequence. This will open FinchTV,
the DNA sequence viewing program, and your sequence in the GRAPHIC mode.
To view your sequence in the TEXT mode, hold-down the apple button and press "i".
- Drag your sequence onto the FinchTV application
icon located in the dock, if FinchTV doesn't
automatically open after you doubled clicked on your sequence.
B. Searching the NCBI database for sequences that are homologous with your sequence with FinchTV
- Select BLAST Sequence under the Edit Menu
- Hold-down shift, apple, and "B". This will open the default internet browser, take you directly to the NCBI website (databases), and copy/paste your DNA sequence into the search window.
- In the Choose Search Set: Database, click on the button corresponding to "Others (nr etc)".
- Click on the button. Wait for the results of your search. BE PATIENT, THIS MAY TAKE A FEW MINUTES.
- Answer the questions in your lab report based upon your search results.
Natural Sciences Learning
© 2000 CDT Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri, USA